Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Dem Bones, dem bones, dem dry bones....


A whale skeleton at the Bayworld Museum. This used to be one of my favourite places to visit, and take our kids, as well as visiting neices and nephews. Unfortunately their shortsighted pricing policy now makes it a less attractive idea, and I know of lots of would-be visitors who no longer go there as a result. We went there recently to introduce our 4 year old grandson to the delights to be found there, but were told we had to pay to see the aquarium, reptile house, and the dolphin show as well, even though we did not want to see any of these. There was no way we wanted to pay 4 all that for a bunch of adults who have seen it all several times, just to do a quick round of the museum with the little guy, so we left.

6 comments:

  1. I so agree, the pricing should change to encourage families to visit, especially now that the snake park is so truncated and the tropical house is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, the pricing should change to encourage families to visit, especially now that the snake park is so truncated and the tropical house is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an impressive piece of work. Too bad they're pricing themselves out of the market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your view on Bayworld's pricing policy.

    As far as the dry bones. Today is a wet bone day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the almost-identical photo from our SA trip in 07! This right whale skeleton has been up forever--I remember it from a preschool trip to the in the early 70s. I credit it with my love of Museums and often tell parents of young kids visiting our little museum all about it. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a loss for your grandson! I do hope that one of you can go back with him again, but I do understand your reason for leaving. This seems to be a trend...outpricing attractions in zoos and museums. SA is not alone; we have it here, too.

    ReplyDelete